Sōsetsuken (双截拳, lit. "Twin Sever Fist"), alternatively known as Sōsaiken, is a fictional martial arts style practiced by Billy and Jimmy Lee. It is loosely based on the real life martial arts style of Jeet Kune Do (截拳道), also known as the "Way of the Intercepting Fist".
In supplemental materials for the original game, Sōsetsuken is described as a "complete collective of various martial art styles", combining techniques from other styles such as karate, tai chi and Shorinji Kempo into one (with other styles mentioned in later versions of the description). Its representative technique was originally said to be the "whirlwind kick" (旋風脚, senpū kyaku), which is the last technique the player acquires in the Famicom/NES version of the first game, although other techniques are mentioned in the Double Dragon Advance version of the description.
Return of Double Dragon establishes that Sōsetsuken is divided into two schools: the Southern School (南派双截拳, Minamiha Sōsetsuken) practiced by Billy, which focuses on agility and flexibility; and the Northern School (北派双截拳, Kitaha Sōsetsuken) practiced by Jimmy, which focuses on strength.
- ↑ The Japanese language manual for the Sega Mark III version uses this pronunciation, as does the English manual for the NES and Game Boy versions.
- ↑ In Japanese, Jeet Kune Do is known as Sekkendō.
- ↑ Famicom Double Dragon flyer
- ↑ Mark III/Master System Double Dragon manual
- ↑ Double Dragon Advance Japanese character profiles (waybacked)
- ↑ Super Famicom Return of Double Dragon flyer